Belize Should Be Your Family’s Next Adventure Destination
In this hectic modern world, a family vacation in Belize is a perfect way to get everyone together. Belize is a Caribbean country with fabulous year-round weather, a lush interior teeming with wildlife, and hundreds of offshore islands. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing time together to regroup as a family or want to enjoy amazing adventures in the great outdoors, Belize truly has something for everyone.
The Perfect Size
Belize is roughly the same size as the state of Vermont yet only has around 350,000 residents. All international flights land in Belize City, and you can get to just about anywhere in the country in three hours or less.
Popular attractions in and around Belize City include:
- – The Belize Zoo – Actually a rescue center for abandoned animals, the Belize Zoo is a great place to learn about local wildlife and see animals like jaguars, tapirs, monkeys, and crocodiles up close.
- – Cucumber Beach – A combination beach and outdoor adventure park famous for its enormous water slide.
- – Ambergris Caye – The biggest island in Belize and just 45 minutes away by water taxi or 15 minutes by air.
- – Caye Caulker – A laid-back island perfect for snorkeling and scuba diving.
It’s impossible not to be amazed by the sheer variety and color of all of the plants and animals in Belize. More than 50% of the mainland is set aside as a protected nature reserve or national park. Popular activities include:
- – Zip lining
- – Cave tubing (floating down underground rivers on an inner tube)
- – Hiking
- – Bird watching
- – Horseback riding
- – Swimming in natural pools at the base of a waterfall
- – Guided nature treks
The Belize Barrier Reef
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Belize Barrier Reef is composed of hundreds of coral atolls and islands. The crystal clear water and white sandy seafloor make it an ideal place to enjoy snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing, and fishing.
The Ancient Maya
The ancient Maya dominated all of Central America before the arrival of Europeans, and the heartland of their empire was Belize. Families can learn more about history while climbing pyramids, wandering through ancient plazas, and exploring the depths of ceremonial caves where ancient priests once conducted human sacrifices.
- Yok Ha is a privately-owned island on the Belize Barrier Reef and is located just eight miles off the coast of Dangriga in southeastern Belize, the perfect setting for an unforgettable family vacation.